FAT LOSS SECRETS FOR THE BUSY PROFESSIONAL. WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

GET MOTIVATED WITH DPM PERFORMANCE blog ed. 21

Welcome back after the Easter break. I hope you are refreshed and revitalised after a long weekend.

I know I enjoyed a couple of extra sleep ins, and some high intensity sessions to work off some of the Easter eggs that I ate over the last couple of days - yeah even the pros like to have some treats too!

After the email problems I experienced the last couple of weeks, my daniel@dpmperformance.com.au email is back in action again, so please revert back to that as your primary contact address for me. Hopefully that is the last of the troubles.

I just started reading a new book last night, and already I've got some words of wisdom out of it that I have to share with you.

The book is 'Don't die with the music in you' by Brisbane Broncos Rugby League coach Wayne Bennett.

For those of you who are not familiar with Wayne, he has a reputation of being a bit of a prickly character with the media. But that is only 1 side of him.

He has coached the same side in probably the toughest competition in the world for 21 seasons (since their inception) and won 6 grand finals - not a bad strike record compared to everyone else.

He is also the father of 2 disabled kids and by all reports is a very charitable and likeable person.


The other thing that amazed me when I read it last night was that this bloke is fit - he's late 50's and a couple of years ago during fitness testing with his team, he split them up into 3 groups, ran 2 back to back 7 minute runs with each group (with very short recovery) and finished no worse than 4th in each group. Yeah, he did the test 3 times, the super fit, elite players only did it once each!

Anyway, there is one thing which I've already read that struck a mark with me. By the way, one of my clients mentioned these words to me a while ago, which prompted me to go out and get Wayne's book.

One of Wayne's favourite sayings is "Don't stop three steps short" in reference to these seven minute runs. "It's a state of mind. Three steps won't make any difference fitness wise, but three steps makes all the difference to the psyche.

"You know you haven't taken a shortcut. You know that when you're tired you've found something... The kind of people that stop three steps short, I wouldn't call them losers, but they're not winners either. They always fall short".

Interesting, but it is funny how true it is. I know in the past, I'll be the first one to admit I used to pull up three steps short in things that I'd done, especially during my rugby days - no suprise then that I didn't turn out to be much of a rugby player is it!

In my reincarnation as a Fitness Professional, I've realised my errors and short cuts I took when I was younger just out to have a good time with my mates.

I am inspired now, and committed to taking those last three steps.

Will you join my on the journey?

Enjoy the short week,

Fire UP!

No comments: