FAT LOSS SECRETS FOR THE BUSY PROFESSIONAL. WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?

Monday, November 12, 2007

GET MOTIVATED WITH DPM PERFORMANCE blog ed. 4

If you want to get an automatic email for when there are new updates on my blog, which I normally try and do at least one other time outside of this one, sign up on your right hand side.

I love this weather! After a week of rain, this makes you realise you're living in the best country in the world! I look forward to more of this when I fly out to Miami tomorrow - just thought I'd make you jealous!

I've recently finished reading a great book by Keith Ferrazzi "Never Eat Alone". Despite the title, it is not about food or diet. It's about "building a lifelong community of colleagues, contacts friends and mentors" to steal the line off the front cover. This is well worth the read for anyone who is in a communicating role with your business or job role.

If you are keen, get it online at Amazon like I did to save you about $20 including postage.

"Human ambitions are like Japanese carp, they grow proportional to the size of their environment. Our achievements grow according to the size of our dreams and the degree to which we are in touch with our mission".

That is the exact reason why I am paying a small fortune to attend a seminar in Florida this weekend. I'm expanding my environment to achieve bigger things.

What are you doing to achieve your dreams?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I always tell people who want to lose bodyfat to downsize their portion sizes. Most people find this hard to do (especially at first).

Here is a great way to help you do this, from American Doctor Al Sears

Fill Up on Filling Foods

By Al Sears, MD

Last weekend, I went to a picnic at my son's school. (The warm weather here in Florida allows us to barbeque during the winter.) As I stood in line to get my burger, I watched the other parents piling huge mounds of food onto their paper plates.

Then I watched many go back for seconds of French fries, potato salad, and homemade brownies.

This made me think of a pair of studies I read recently.

In 1984, researchers from Penn State asked the students who were participating in their study to eat their meals in the school cafeteria ... and to take as much food as they wanted.

Then, in 2003, researchers from Rutgers did the same thing - and they found that their subjects put 20 percent to 50 percent more food on their plates than the Penn State students did in 1984.

Clearly, people are eating more than they used to. But why?

Here's my take: It's the kind of food we're eating that makes us eat more. High-carb and highly processed foods lower sensitivity to a hormone called leptin.

Leptin is the messenger that tells your brain "I'm full." Without it, you keep eating and eating.

The easiest way to eat smaller portions is to eat foods that make you feel full sooner. So instead of trying to deny yourself, focus on foods high in protein - like lean meats, poultry, fish, and nuts.

These foods trigger the leptin receptors in your brain and give you the feeling that you've "had enough."

Another winning strategy is to use the glycemic index. Foods that score below 40 keep your blood sugar and insulin at low levels. This is the key to preventing weight gain if you're going to a party or out to dinner and expect to be eating a lot.

TAKE HOME POINTS:

* To reduce portion sizing, focus on foods that will fill you up

* Follow a low Glycemic Index guide to help you stay fuller for longer.

* High Protein foods like nuts, meat, poultry and fish

To help you on the road, I've been able to find this sheet that you can use. To get your copy of the glycemic index Dr. Sears gives his patients click on the link below or paste it into your browser

http://www.alsearsmd.com/signup/glycemic-etr/

Get out and make it a great week!

What's your excuse?

No comments: